So the first project for Environmental Action was to "re-introduce" ourselves to people as our new and improved eco-self. This way, it will supposedly ease us into being "that person" who makes people turn off their lights, recycle, turn down their heat, etc. I got really excited about this and walked back into Miller (where I live) and ran into LL studying in the common room, and decided to make her my first victim. I told her about the class and shook her hand, introducing myself as "Eco-Rachael". She got really excited for my project, and told me that I should go by that and fashion myself a new superhero, righting environmental wrongs and wearing a green cape. She also has already picked out music for my theme song. Whatever works...
I then visited HB, MD, JM, AR, and NS in Wren (another dorm) and decided to try it out on them. "Do we have to do anything? Can't you just lie and say we did it?" protested HB and MD, even though I explained that all they had to do was listen to me introduce myself. Once they realized that I was finished, they concluded that eco-Rachael seemed not very different from regular Rachael.
Lastly I went to go tell MB, to which he responded, a little put off, "You don't need to tell me to turn off my lights or recycle. I already do that."
So, on the whole, people don't seem to be too surprised at the "new" Eco-Rachael. While I'm not a stickler on everything, I already try to remind people to turn off their lights and recycle their paper and glass. But I'm excited to try to do more--and who knows, maybe I'll even become one of those people who brings her own Tupperware to a barbecue :).
P.S. In case you were wondering, this is what LL suggested be my "Eco-theme song": Down To Earth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment